Okta - Updating MFA Factors Before Getting A New Device/Number
Depending on your situation, you may need to take special steps in order to change your Okta Settings before acquiring a new device or phone number. In many cases, if that is not done proactively, you will need to contact the Tech Service Desk for assistance.
Updating Phone (SMS or Voice Call) MFA Option:
- New device but phone number is NOT changing.
- No action is needed on your part.
- Existing device OR new Device AND phone number is changing.
- Please see Okta - Add and Remove MFA Options.
- Set up a factor that you will be able to fulfill once your phone number changes. For example, if you only have the Phone authentication option set up, you will need to also have Okta Verify or Google Authenticator to make changes to your Okta Settings.
- Once your phone number officially changes and the old number is deactivated, you can go to https://login.parkland.edu, sign in with your username and password, and authenticate with Okta Verify or Google Authenticator.
- Select Okta Settings, navigate to the Phone security method, and select Remove (Note: Phone numbers cannot be edited in the system).
- If you wish to re-add the Phone (voice/SMS) option and tie it to your new phone number, please select Set up next to the Phone option. See Okta - Set Up and Use SMS and Voice Call for further instructions.
Updating Okta Verify or Google Authenticator:
- Option 1 (requires your old AND new device).
- You will need your old phone to log into https://login.parkland.edu and edit your Okta profile. Please see Okta - Add and Remove MFA Options.
- Select the Remove button next to Okta Verify and/or Google Authenticator within the Security Methods section.
- On your new device, navigate to login.parkland.edu and sign in with your ParklandOne credentials.
- Select Set Up Okta Verify or Google Authenticator.
- Option 2 (does not require the old device, but phone number needs to be the same).
- Make sure to update your Okta profile and enroll in the Phone (SMS/Call) verification method prior to switching devices. Please see Okta - Add and Remove MFA Options.
- On your new device, navigate to https://login.parkland.edu, sign in with your username and password, and authenticate with the Phone option.
- Click on Okta Settings and select Remove Okta Verify and/or Google Authenticator.
- Select Set Up Okta Verify and/or Google Authenticator.