Okta - Setup and Use Google Authenticator
This article reviews the setup process of connecting Google Authenticator to Okta for MFA access.
Google Authenticator is a mobile application that allows users to generate a 6-digit code which they will then enter when prompted by the Okta system. The application is created and managed by Google and can be used for many other services outside of Parkland College.
Setup the Google Authenticator app
- On the Set up multifactor authentication screen, click the Setup button below the Google Authenticator option.
- On the Setup Google Authenticator screen, select the appropriate device. **Note: Select iPhone if you have a device that runs iOS such as an iPad.
- Click the link displayed that will take you to the appropriate app store for your device in order to download and install the Google Authenticator app. Click Next in the prompt below.
- In the Google Authenticator app, tap the plus sign (+).
- When prompted, allow Google Authenticator to take pictures and record video. **Note: The wording of this prompt may be different depending on your device. Just be sure to allow the use of the camera.
- Point your camera at the QR code displayed in your browser.
- If you scanned the QR code, click Next. The pass code generator screen appears and generates pass codes to use when prompted for extra verification. You have 30 seconds to enter the pass code before it generates a new one.
- If you can't scan the QR code, then follow the instructions below:
- On your phone, start Google Authenticator and tap the + icon and select Enter a setup key.
- In the Account Name field, enter a name for the connection. We recommend entering something to differentiate between Parkland College and other services that you may use.
- On your computer, click the Can’t scan? link
- This will display a secret key on the browser screen that you then enter in the Key field on your phone.
- When finished, click Next.
- The web browser on your computer returns to the Set up multifactor authentication screen.
- If you are finished setting up the factors for your Okta account, you can click Finish.
Use the Google Authenticator app
- Any time you authenticate against Okta and are prompted for MFA, you can now use Google Authenticator to enter a code.For security purposes, this code changes every thirty seconds and it is the intended behavior of any application that utilizes code based MFA. The code you enter is whatever code is currently being displayed in the app.
- After you are prompted, load the Google Authenticator app.
- Remember the code (corresponding to your Parkland College connection) that appears on the phone screen. Please note that the 6-digit code will have a space after the first three numbers. Do not enter a space when entering the code in the next step.
- Enter the code in the Okta prompt to get access to the Parkland service you were trying to access. If the code rotates before you can finish typing it in, you will need to clear what you have typed and enter the new code that is in the app.
Phone/Virtual Assistance: 217-353-3333 * email@example.com
Fall/Spring: 7:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. M-Th. / 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Fridays
Summer: 7:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. M-Th