Cobra Learning: Continuity of Instruction
In the event of a college closure, this article will assist you with how to conduct your class online using Cobra Learning.
Logging into Cobra Learning
You can access Cobra Learning in two ways:
- Log into my.Parkland and click on the Cobra Learning button (you will be sent to the Okta login page to provide your ParklandOne username and password)
- Go to http://cobra.parkland.edu and use your Parkland credentials to log in
Communicating with Students
There is an Announcements widget on every course homepage in Cobra. You can post messages here for students such as location changes, cancellations, upcoming due dates, etc. To post an announcement:
- Click the dropdown menu next to the Announcements widget title and select New News Item.
- Enter a headline or title for the announcement.
- Enter content for your message.
- Click Publish.
Cobra's email system is integrated with Parkland's email system, so sending an email from Cobra will automatically send it to the students' Parkland email account. To send a message:
- Go to classlist and select the students to whom you want to send a message by checking the box next to their name. Click the email link above the classlist and compose your message. Click Send. When students reply to this message, it will be in your Parkland email account.
- Click on the envelope icon in the mini bar at the top of the course homepage. Click the email link to open a compose message window. You can type your students' name and/or email address into the To, CC, or BCC address bars; or you can click on Address Book to locate your students' addresses there.
- Click on Outlook in the Office 365 widget on the Cobra homepage to open your Parkland email account.
Uploading content to Cobra is pretty simple and makes for easy access to course materials for students. Click on the Content link in the navigation bar of your course homepage. To start a module under Table of Contents, click into the Add a module box and enter a module title (i.e. Start Here).
- Click into the module to which you want to add content. Click the Upload/Create button.
- Select Upload Files then select the location of the files you want to upload (i.e. My Computer, OneDrive, etc.)
- Click the Upload button in the Add a File window and search your location for the file(s) to upload.
- Click Add.
Types of Content to Add
- Course Schedule
- Lecture notes (NOTE: if you upload text-based lecture notes, ReadSpeaker can provide text-to-voice for students).
- Videos (see TechSmith Relay)
- Study guides
- Webpage links, such as Ted Talks, YouTube, CNN, etc.
Creating and using a gradebook in Cobra can be pretty straight-forward. Click the Grades link in the navigation bar of your course and follow the Setup Wizard to set up your gradebook. Or, you can click on Manage Grades to skip the wizard and set it up manually (steps below).
Creating Grade Items
This is the simplest way to set up a gradebook. If you need a more detailed tutorial on setting up a specialized gradebook, see Creating a grade book.
- Click the New button, and then Item. (You can create categories, if you choose).
- Select Numeric as the Grade Type (as this is the type for entering a number grade).
- Give your grade item a name (i.e. Quiz 1). (Select the category, if you set up a category).
- Enter the Maximum Point value for the item (i.e. 10 points).
- Click Save and Close.
- Repeat steps 1 through 5 for each grade item.
There are a couple of ways to enter grades in a Cobra gradebook.
Click on Grades and then the Manage Grades link (if it doesn't load by default).
- Locate the Grade Item to which you want to enter grades and click the dropdown menu next to the item. Select Enter Grades.
- Enter the grade into the Grade box for each student. (You can enter feedback for the student in the box to the right of their grade by clicking the pencil icon).
- Click Save and Close.
- Repeat steps 1 through 3 on the remaining grade items.
Click on Grades and then the Enter Grades link.
- Click on the Switch to Spreadsheet View button at the top left of the gradebook.
- Locate the Grade Item column to which you want to enter grades.
- Enter the grades for each student.
- Continue to the next grade item and enter grades for each student.
- When you have finished, click Save.