Cobra Learning: Yuja Video Analytics and Video Commenting
Cobra Learning - YuJa Video Analytics and Video Commenting
YuJa Video Platform is a web-based recording solution that allows faculty, staff and students the ability to record, edit, caption, publish and share video content with ease. (See YuJa Video Basics). In this article, we will cover the more detailed features of reviewing analytics and video commenting.
Table of Contents:
As with our previous video platform, YuJa offers analytics to gain an understanding of how your students are interacting with your video content.
Hover over your video and click the more option, then select Analytics. The summary you see on that screen will show you the duration of the video as well as the size in megabytes. It will give you the total views (duplicated users), number of unique views (individual users), number of downloads, and the total play length (of all views) as well as the percentage played. The visual will give you a chart of the viewing behavior as well as a table option. But wait...there's "more."
Select the More button at the bottom of the screen to be taken to a new page of expanded analytics data. All of the summary data from the previous screen is included, but you have additional options:
- Playback: will list all of the students who have viewed the video, how many times they've viewed it, total play length and percentage, first and last watched dates, and a graph of this data.
- Sessions: gives you details of when each user opened the video, last active, time watched, how they accessed it (yuja.parkland.edu or cobra.parkland.edu), their computer system, browser and media plugin, as well as their location (United States, Illinois).
- Bandwidth: will show the bandwidth use of the video on specific days, so you see when the heaviest viewing occurs.
- Technology: shows the browsers used (including mobile) and the system used (including mobile).
- Segment Views: is divided into 5 second intervals and shows the number of views per interval, so this can let you know where you start to lose students in the video.
- Session Dates: will show the data from the first date it was available to the current date and how many views in that period.
- This data can also be downloaded as a spreadsheet and/or deleted. NOTE: if you want new data each semester, you might want to consider downloading the current data and then deleting it from YuJa, so you can get unique analytics for each semester.
You can also change your "group" or folder of videos as well as the video options from those groups without having to go back to your media library page.
From this Usage and Analytics Page, you can also select the Users option, select the course and then select the user, so that you can view the data for individual users over all of the course videos, rather than through the individual video data itself.
Video commenting can be a helpful tool for engaging students in video content, including the ability to ask questions that might help with clarity. This allows them to further engage with the course content as well as each other and the instructor.
By default, the commenting option is turned on for all videos in YuJa. If you want to disable comments, you'd hover over the video and click the More option and then Comments. Select Disable and click Save Comments. If you enable comments, you can choose who can comment and then who can see the comments. So, you can allow everyone to comment, but only allow the comments to be seen by the owner of the video. By default, everyone can comment and everyone can see them when it's enabled.
After a comment has been made on the video, you can see it in this tool as well. When the video is active, it will have a split screen icon in the player bar that when clicked will show a menu for searching the video. Comments is one of the options and this is where users would post the comments and view them.