Cobra Learning - Using Skype in Cobra
In the event that you need to conduct your class meeting time online, Skype can be used to create a meeting to be held online.
Using Skype in Cobra Learning
Creating the Meeting
In Outlook, access your Calendar. Then click on the New Skype Meeting link.
In the To: box, simply enter your own name so that the meeting gets added to your Outlook calendar. Enter a subject title, like "Class Meeting." Then set your start date and time as well as the end date and time. Once you have done that, you can copy the Skype meeting information that appears in the text box.
Once you are done, click Send to confirm the appointment.
Adding to Cobra
Once you have set up your class meeting appointment in Skype, navigate to Cobra Learning and access your course. Click on Content, and then in one of the modules (like Class Meetings), click the Upload/Create button, then Create a File.
Enter a Title, for example the date and time of the class meeting. Then in the content box, click Ctrl-V (paste) and select Keep Formatting to paste your Skype meeting information into the document.
OPTIONAL/RECOMMENDED: click above the Skype information to type a message into the box, like "click the link below to join the class on Skype." Then click Save and Close.
Navigate back to the module on the content page to confirm your file/item creation.
You can click on the link to confirm that it is set up and to preview what the students will see when they click on it as well.
Skype has two ways for users to access a meeting room: using the desktop application or using the web application. We'll show both in this article.
Click the Join with Skype for Business (desktop) link. If Skype for the desktop is already installed on your computer, you will be prompted to Open Skype for Business 2016.
A new Skype window will open and prompt you to join with audio, provided that you have a microphone and/or speakers. Click OK.
Web App Skype
Click the Install and join with Skype Meetings App (web) link. If you've already installed the web app, click the "click here" link to open the app.
If you do not have the web app installed, it will prompt you to download and install it.
Once installed, it will open the Welcome window. If you have an Office 365 (Parkland) account, click the "Sign in if you have an Office 365 account" link.
This will route you to the Parkland login page, where you will enter your Parkland credentials.
After you have been authenticated, you will be entered into the meeting room.
Joining as Guest
In the event that you type your name in the box and click join instead of using your Office 365 account credentials,
you will still be allowed to enter the room, but you will be designated as a guest and it may impede your ability to use all of the Skype functions.
Skype Meeting Tools
Once you have entered the room, you will have the full spectrum of Skype tools available to you.
- See Skype to conference with students for details on how to use Skype for meeting with students.
- See Share your desktop or program for how to share your screen or a program with students.
- If you need to record your meeting for later playback, see Record and play back a meeting.
- Using your Skype for Business Account to Connect to Regular Skype Accounts from macOS
- Skype and Skype for Business iPad Connection Limitations
- Setting up Skype for Business on iOS
- Using your Skype for Business Account to Connect to Regular Skype Accounts
- Office 365 (Skype for Business) - Can you use Skype for Business to Conference with Students?
- Office 365 (Skype for Business) - Share Your Desktop or a Program
- Office 365 (Skype for Business ) - Record and Play Back a Meeting