Instructor Station Logins, Printing, and File Storage (Windows 7 & 10)
Nearly all instructor stations will automatically log in with a “generic” account after being turned on or restarted. A “generic” account is one that is not assigned to a person but is instead used for general access to a workstation. Instructors may choose to use the “generic” account - OR - log off/sign out and log in with their ParklandOne credentials instead for access to their H: Drive. NOTE: IF YOU SIGN IN AS YOURSELF, PLEASE RESTART THE COMPUTER AT THE END OF CLASS IN ORDER TO RETURN IT TO THE “GENERIC” LOGIN STATE (detailed instructions are at the bottom of this article).
Note: Whether you are signed in with the generic account or you are signed in as yourself, if you access Microsoft Office 365/Outlook from an instructor station (or any public/shared machine), you will want to select No to the following prompt. No matter what you select though, the machine may keep you signed in to Office 365/Outlook even after you have closed the browser and/or restarted the machine. On shared computers, you MUST always SIGN OUT of Microsoft Office 365 applications in order to protect your privacy. Please see Office 365 / Outlook / Google - The Importance of Signing Out of Your Account for further instructions on how to Sign out of your session.
“Generic” Login Details:
- If there are any special settings for applications installed on the computer in the classroom or lab, this profile will have those settings configured.
- If there is a printer located in the room, you will be able to print to it.
- No files should be saved to the local computer. Please use OneDrive or some other means to store your files. If the workstation is configured with Deep Freeze, please DO NOT use the T: Drive as a permanent file storage solution. The College is moving away from using Deep Freeze and is not responsible for the retention of files saved to the thaw space.
ParklandOne Login Details:
- Preconfigured settings for applications that are present in the “generic” account may not be present when signed in as yourself.
- You may need to request access to the room’s printer(s).
- The screensaver will be enabled with a timeout of 30 minutes, after which the computer will be locked. This is a policy applied to all user accounts that are not “generic”.
- Your H: drive and shared drives (if applicable) will be accessible.
- No files should be saved to the local computer. Please use the H: drive, OneDrive, or some other means to store your files. If the workstation is configured with Deep Freeze, please DO NOT use the T: Drive as a permanent file storage solution. The College is moving away from using Deep Freeze and is not responsible for the retention of files saved to the thaw space.
- You MUST restart the computer at the end of class in order to return it to the “generic” login profile.
What follows are instructions for logging off the “generic” account, signing in as yourself, and then RESTARTING at the end of class on both Windows 7 and Windows 10 machines.
1. Click on the Start Menu.
2. Select the triangle button next to Shut down (might come up as Restart instead) and select Log Off.
3. Sign in with your ParklandOne username and password. Please restart the computer at the end of your class, remembering to leave enough time to for the restart process to complete before the next class.
4. To perform a restart, click on the Start Menu and select Restart (if applicable) or click the triangle button next to Shut down and then select Restart.
- OR -
1. Click on the Start Menu, then select the round “user” button and choose Sign out.
2. Sign in with your ParklandOne username and password. Please restart the computer at the end of your class, remembering to leave enough time to for the restart process to complete before the next class.
3. To perform a restart, click on the Start Menu and select the “Power” button and then select Restart.
Phone/Virtual Assistance: 217-353-3333 * firstname.lastname@example.org
Fall/Spring: 7:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. M-Th. / 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Fridays
Summer: 7:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. M-Th