Cobra Learning - Solving Content Download Errors
Normally when you need to download a file for a class on Cobra you can check your classes's content page. Once there you would click on the "Content" option and then select the appropriate file you need. Occasionally however, files do not download or open correctly.
One particular error that occurs will make a downloaded Excel file appear as a "Direct Text to File" document instead of an Excel file. There can be a number of reasons for why this error or others might happen, but several troubleshooting tips and steps can be taken to solve most issues that might cause these problems.
Solving file download errors
First, make sure you are familiar with the process of downloading the content you need from Cobra. For help with this, please see: Cobra Learning - Downloading content.
In many cases, an error involving a download can begin with the Internet Browser that is being used to download a file from Cobra. If you are using Microsoft Edge, Apple Safari, or Internet Explorer, it is recommended you install at least one other browser. For best practices, having a third backup browser is also a good idea.
Discovering which internet browser you are using
1. To know if you are using Microsoft Edge, check for the following icon with a blue underline on your computer's task-bar:
2. Internet Explorer has the following icon, located on your desktop or task-bar:
3. Apple Safari will have the following icon located in your toolbar or desktop (the light blue circle underneath means it is open):
Unfortunately, Microsoft Edge, Apple Safari, and Internet Explorer can create issues or problems with the downloading of files. If you are using either of these browsers and are encountering an error or problem with a downloaded file, such as an Excel file from Cobra, it is highly recommended that you install either Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome, or both.
Downloading additional internet browsers
1. To download Mozilla Firefox simply enter "Mozilla Firefox" into your current Internet Browser's search. The correct page for Firefox will appear as the following:
You will want to click on the "Free Download" green button to begin the download for Firefox. When the file is done downloading, begin the installation for Firefox and follow the instructions the program prompts you to follow.
2. To download Google Chrome simply enter "Google Chrome" into your current Internet Browser's search. The correct page for Chrome will appear as the following:
You will want to click on the "Download Chrome" blue button to begin the download for Chrome. When the file is done downloading, begin the installation for Firefox and follow the instructions the program prompts you to follow.
3. Once you have finished installing your new browser, return to Cobra and download the file you need. If you continue to have issues with the file downloading incorrectly, feel free to contact the Tech Service Desk at 353-3333 or visit their office in room A184 for additional support.