VPN Secure Access - Usage Instructions
What is a VPN?
A VPN (Virtual Private Network) is a means for Parkland employees to securely connect to the Parkland network when not on campus. Parkland utilizes a VPN client called VIA.
Who is the VPN for?
Parkland VPN is only available for Parkland employees and authorized
contractors. The VIA client can be installed on Windows and Mac
workstations as well as most Android and iOS devices (smart phone,
What can I access once connected to Parkland using the VPN?
- Local Parkland Workstation (requires Remote Desktop Connection*)
- You will have access to your mapped drives.
- Parkland Network Drives
- Parkland Device
- Mapped drives will automatically connect
- Non-Parkland Device
- (requires Remote Desktop Connection*)
* Remote Desktop CANNOT be configured at this time if your Parkland machine is a Mac. For more information on Remote Desktop, please see Remote Desktop Connection (Windows) - Remotely Control Your Office Computer From On or Off Campus .
Prior to using the VPN software, you must first download and install the VIA client on your computer. For instructions, please see VPN Secure Access - Description & Installation. The VIA software can be installed on any Parkland owned or personal device but a VPN connection may only be established while not connected to the Parkland network.
2. Once you have provided the connection details and clicked login, the remote server selection screen will appear. Accept the default and press Login.
3. You will notice a small grey icon in the lower-right corner of the taskbar. This is the VIA icon. It will remain grey until it does some initial setup work.
4. Once connected, the VIA taskbar icon will turn from grey to green and gold .
5. You have now established a secure connection to the Parkland network. If you are also needing to connect to Remote Desktop, please see Remote Desktop Connection (Windows) - How to Configure Your Office Computer for a Remote Desktop Connection .
4. When you are finished using the VPN connection that you have established, it is important to disconnect. You can do this by right-clicking on the green and gold VIA icon in the lower-right section of the taskbar and selecting Disconnect (or Exit).
- If you need to re-establish your connection and the grey icon is still present in the system tray, you can right click on it and select connect.
- If your ParklandOne username and/or password changes, please see VPN Secure Access - Username or Password Change .
A. The Network tab allows you to view information including real-time data on your VPN traffic.
B. The Logs tab displays important information about your client's activity.