Office 365 (Outlook) - Distribution Lists
Distribution lists are groups of individuals that appear in the global address list in Outlook. There are distribution lists for categories of personnel, as well as departments/offices. To get to the global address list, go to the Find section in the ribbon and type in an entry in the search field OR double-click on Address Book to see the full content.
As part of the email migration, all former public distribution lists were recreated in Outlook, according to a new naming convention. These replace entries, such as -Admin and -PAE. The new naming conventions were adopted for consistency to simplify and streamline the groups within the global address list.
There are different types of Distribution Lists: Campus-wide, Departmental, Committee, Project, and Other.
- CAMPUS-WIDE - Campus-wide distribution lists begin with “Parkland”. These lists are used to communicate with campus-wide groups. The campus distribution lists are typically defined by job classification and are limited to official college communications. The campus-wide distribution lists are created and maintained by Campus Technologies, through coordination with Human Resources. Access to send to these lists is restricted to Parkland Administration and additional authorized users. Exceptions may be requested by contacting Doug Brooks email@example.com. Let him know the reason you are requesting the exception, the distribution list you are wanting to send to, and how often you would be sending email to that distribution list.
- DEPARTMENTAL - Departmental distribution lists are prefaced with a 3 or 4-character department designation. These lists are used to facilitate communications with specific departments and subsets of departments. By default, there is an ALL list containing the entire department, e.g. FAA ALL, maintained by Campus Technologies. In addition, departments may wish to request and maintain potential sub lists, e.g. for FAA PT Faculty. The designations for the departments as they appear in the global address book can be found at Office 365 - (Outlook) - Distribution Lists - Departmental Abbreviations
- COMMITTEE - Committee distribution lists are requested and created by Campus Technologies; populated and maintained by the list owner (e.g. Committee Chair). These lists are used to facilitate communications with and among the various committee members. The name of the list will start with CMT. Use of these lists will typically be restricted to the list members.
- PROJECT - Project distribution lists are requested and created by Campus Technologies; populated and maintained by the list owner (e.g. the project manager). These lists are used to help with the communication among project members and project stakeholders. Such lists are intended to exist for the duration of the project and will be deleted upon project completion. The name of the list will start with PROJ. Use of these lists will typically be restricted to the list members.
- OTHER - Other distribution lists are requested and created by Campus Technologies; populated and maintained by the list owner. Use of these lists will typically be restricted to the list members.
A new distribution list can be requested via the Campus Technologies Account Request form, which can be found on the portal - https://my.parkland.edu/forms/Documents/Account%20Request%20Form%20for%20non-student%20workers.pdf. (Note: This form opens best in Internet Explorer)