Cobra Learning: Merging Courses
If you are teaching multiple sections of the same course, it is possible to merge these sections together into a single course for students to access and complete their work. The sections must meet certain criteria in order to be merged:
- They must have the same start date.
- They must have the same end date.
- They must be of the same delivery type - all online, all hybrid, or all on-campus - you cannot merge a hybrid and an online section together.
- They must be "owned" by the same faculty member - cannot merge courses that do not have the same faculty member listed in Colleague.
To merge course sections together:
- Log in to the Cobra home page.
- Scroll down to the widget called Merge Courses.
- Click the "Click here to merge course sections" link. This will display the list of courses eligible to merge.
- Choose either:
NOTE: if you do not see all of the course sections, do not merge any of them yet. Check with the department secretary to confirm all load has been entered in Colleague first.
- "I will only use the merged section. Disable original sections." (This means the students will see only one section of the course).
- or: "I will use the merged section AND the original sections. Keep everything enabled." (This means the students see TWO sections - the merged one for group work; and the single section as well).
The widget will update with the queued merge to take place and show you the sections that will be included in the merge.
NOTE: the merging process takes at least an overnight cycle, so the merged course will show on the next day that the semester loader runs. For example: typically the current semester runs Monday through Saturday and the upcoming semester runs on Sunday. So, if you merge a fall course during the summer, it will show up the next Sunday that the loader runs.
The merging process creates a whole new course, so creating content in one of the individual sections will NOT automatically copy over. You will need to copy course materials into the newly-created merged course once it appears on Cobra Learning.