Cobra Learning - Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor
Respondus LockDown Browser
Respondus LockDown Browser is a special "locked" browser that prevents you from accessing anything else while in an exam. If your instructor is using RLDB for a test, you will not be able to use a standard web browser to take the test. RLDB only works with quizzes and should not be used with any other areas of Cobra.
Taking a Quiz in Cobra using RLDB
- Close all programs, unless one is used to connect you to the internet.
- Log into Cobra with a regular browser, select your course, and navigate to the quiz, where you will likely note that LockDown Browser is required.
- From your quiz, either install LockDown Browser or launch it to take the quiz if you have previously installed it on your computer.
- If the computer does not have RLDB installed, this link will enable you to install it on your computer.
- If the computer already has RLDB installed, simply click the Launch LockDown Browser button.
NOTE: if you click the launch button and you do not have RLDB installed, you will get a message prompting you to install it.
- Once you have launched it, you will get a prompt to open LockDown Browser. (You will need to ensure that you are not blocking pop-ups).
- If prompted to disable a second monitor or close a blocked program (i.e. screen capture, instant messaging, music, etc.), note the instructions for closing the program and then click OK. Proceed to disable or close the recommended program. Then relaunch the LockDown Browser.
- The quiz will then start.
NOTE: once a test has been started with RLDB, you cannot exit the quiz until the Submit button is clicked or without giving a reason for exiting, which will be logged as part of your submission.
Parkland Testing Centers Using RLDB
The Assessment Center (room U203) serves the testing needs of Parkland College students. Students are free to take tests on campus anytime during hours of operation. (See the Assessment Center website or call them at 217-351-2432 for information on testing hours).
NOTE: if you need standardized testing or proctoring for a class at a different college, please contact the Assessment Center at the phone number above.
Accessibility Services (room U260) offers an alternate testing environment for students registered with their office for academic accommodations. (See the Accessibility Services website or call them at 217-353-2338 for information on their office hours).
RLDB + Monitor is the way in which your instructor may use the LockDown Browser, but proctor you taking it by recording you with your webcam. For this version of RLDB, you will need the following:
- A desktop or laptop computer
- Working webcam with microphone (either internal to computer or an external USB cam)
- Broadband internet connection
NOTE: A mobile device is NOT supported, unless your instructor allows you to use an iPad, but that is left up to the instructor. If your webcam or microphone is not working, you will not be allowed to take the test. Likewise, if you are using an unsupported internet connection, you may experience interruptions to taking your test which can impact your grade.
If your instructor requires Monitor, your quiz will look like this:
When you click the link, you will follow steps 1 through 5, as instructed in the section above on Respondus LockDown Browser. Then, the startup sequence for Monitor (webcam) begins.
- The webcam check confirm that your webcam and microphone are working properly.
- Additional instructions that your instructor may provide for the quiz.
- Guidelines and tips that you should consider:
- Select a quiet location with no interruptions (no people or media).
- Make sure your internet connection is strong and consistent (no other streaming devices running)
- Place computer/laptop on a flat, hard surface (no lap or bed/couch/floor)
- Reduce camera flags by not wearing sunglasses, hats/caps, or hoodies. Use a well-lit space and avoid backlighting, like a window.
- Unless otherwise instructed, turn off all other devices (phones, tablets, computers, etc.) and place them outside your reach. If these items are in your environment scan video, it will be flagged.
- Student Photo. Position your face so that it can be clearly seen in the webcam and take your photo. You can retake it if you are not satisfied with it.
- Student ID. Hold your photo ID (preferably a college ID) up to the camera and take a photo of it. You can retake it if you are not satisfied that it shows well enough.
- Environment check. You will need to do a short recording of your environment, so move your webcam around to show your work space. Refer to the guidelines and tips above in #4 for best practices.
- Facial detection. You'll record a short video of your face in the camera so that the recording can easily track your testing activity.
NOTE: You can follow your progress along the left side of the screen.
NOTE: If you encounter a problem along the way, select the "It's not working" link located next to the activity buttons for troubleshooting tips.
Taking the Test
The quiz will begin after the startup sequence is complete. Your webcam will be recording you during the test and any absence from the webcam will be flagged as suspicious activity. Your entire computer screen will be taken by the browser and you will not be able to minimize it. Proceed with the quiz as you would any other in Cobra Learning.
If you try to close the browser before you have submitted the test, you will get a warning that your exam is not complete and an option to return to the exam. If you do need to leave the exam before submission, you can proceed by closing the browser.
Note that if you do click the Close the Browser button, you will be prompted to type a reason for leaving. This will be logged as part of your exam and your instructor will be notified. If you do not type an adequate response, it could impact your grade.
NOTE: also that the clock will continue to count down the time limit on your exam and if you log back in you will have lost that time.
Once you have submitted your exam, you will see your attempt confirmed and be prompted to exit the LockDown Browser. You will then be returned to your computer desktop.
NOTE: this version of Respondus LockDown Browser is proprietary to Parkland College and cannot be used for tests at other institutions.