Web Browsers (Win) - Pop-Up Blocker Settings
This article explains how to disable and enable the pop-up blocker settings in Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.
NOTE: We do not recommend permanently turning off your pop-up blocker. This can leave your COMPUTER vulnerable to any number of malicous programs. We recommend you only disable the blocker temporarily.
If your pop-up blocker is turned on (IE's blocker is on by default) and you go to a site that has pop-ups, an information bar will appear at the bottom of your browser window telling you a pop-up has been blocked.
Clicking on the information bar will let you
- temporarily allow pop-ups (from this site only),
- always allow pop-ups from this site, or
- adjust the pop-up blocker settings.
If you chose to temporarily allow pop-ups, that permission will expire when you close down your browser.
If you want to permanently disable the pop-up blocker in IE:
- Open Internet Explorer
- Select Tools from the main menu
- Select Pop-up Blocker
- Select Turn Off Pop-up Blocker
Your pop-up blocker is now disabled. To turn it back on, follow the steps above and select "Turn On Pop-up Blocker" from the Pop-up Blocker menu.
If your pop-up blocker is turned on (Chrome also turns it on by default) and the site you are on tries to send a pop-up, an icon that looks like a browser bar with a red 'x' will appear in your address bar.
Clicking on the icon will allow you to
- always allow pop-ups from this site
- continue blocking pop-ups, or
- manage pop-up blocking
If you want to permanently disable pop-up blocking in Chrome:
1. Open Google Chrome
2. Select Settings from the Chrome menu
3. Select the Show advanced settings... link at the bottom of that page
4. Select Content settings... from the Privacy section
5. Select Allow all sites radio button from Pop-ups section
If your pop-up blocker is turned on (Safari's is by default) and you go to a site that has pop-ups, there is no easy way to identify if a pop-up has indeed been blocked. Below are the steps you need to check and see if the pop-up blocker is enabled and disable if you choose.
1. Open Safari.
2. In the top left, select Safari, then select Preferences from the drop down menu.
3. The preferences pane will open and select Security on the top row.
4. Uncheck the Block pop-up windows box.
When blocking a pop-up, Firefox displays an information bar, as well as an icon in the location bar.
When you click either thebutton in the info bar or the icon in the location bar, a menu is displayed with the following choices:
- (show the blocked pop-up)
To access the pop-up blocker settings:
At the top of the Firefox window, click on the button and then select .At the top of the Firefox window, click on the menu and then select .On the menu bar, click on the menu and select .At the top of the Firefox window, click on the menu and select .
Click the menu button and choose . .
- Select the
In the content panel:
- Block pop-up windows: Uncheck this to disable the pop-up blocker altogether.
- : This is a list of sites that you want to allow to display pop-ups.
The dialog has the following choices:
- Allow: Click this to add a website to the exceptions list.
- Remove Site: Click this to remove a website from the exceptions list.
- Remove All Sites: Click this to remove all of the websites in the exceptions list.
Phone/Virtual Assistance: 217-353-3333 * email@example.com
Fall/Spring: 7:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. M-Th. / 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Fridays
Summer: 7:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. M-Th