Cobra Learning - Copying Course Components Between Org Units
Copying course components between org units
The copy components utility lets you copy quizzes, content, grade items, discussion forums, dropbox folders, and nearly every other type of component from another course offering or a course offering’s parent template. Copying components saves you from having to recreate your course’s resources from scratch and can significantly reduce the amount of work required to create or re-offer a course.
You can use the copy components feature to:
- Reuse components created in a previous course offering.
- Add components created by your peers into your own course offering.
- Set up standard components inside a course template and copy them into a new course offering each time a course is re-offered.
To copy components between course offerings, you must be enrolled in both offerings. (If you want to copy components from a peer’s course offering, ask that user to enroll you). Enrollment and access to the parent template is required for users to copy components into a course offering from it.
You can also copy components into a course template, and you can create standard components within a template and then copy them into the template’s associated course offerings.
Overwriting and duplicating content
The only component that might be overwritten is Course Files. A course file is overwritten if one of the files being copied has the same name as an existing file. No other components are overwritten.
Let’s say you have three checklists in your current course offering, and copy two checklists from another offering. You will now have a total of five checklists in the current offering. This is true even if the components are identical. If you are copying components from the same source multiple times, be careful not to copy the same items more than once or you will create duplicates.
User data and importing course components
User data is not copied. For example, if you copy the discussions component, only the forums and topics are copied, not the posts inside the topics. Similarly, if you copy dropbox folders, user submissions are not be copied; if you copy quizzes, user attempts are not be copied, etc.
Links and associations between components
If you are copying linked or associated components, you must copy all of the related components at the same time. For example, if a discussion topic has release conditions based on the results of a quiz, you must copy all three components—discussions, quizzes, and release conditions—at the same time. Similarly, if you have a quiz that is associated with a grade item, be sure to copy both the quiz and the grade item at the same time. As long as the associated components are copied together, links between them are retained.
Note To copy release conditions, you must select the Release Conditions component.
Special considerations when copying course components
|Competencies||Competencies, learning objectives, and associated activities are copied.|
|Content||Does not include Files or Content Display Settings; these must be selected as separate components. Be sure to copy all of the files used by the content topic or the topic will not display properly.|
|Checklists||Due dates for checklist items are not changed when you copy them.|
|Groups and Sections||Auto-enrollments are not run in the new course. You must enroll users yourself.|
|Navigation Bars||Tool Display Names must also be copied if you have modified the names of tools.|
|Release Conditions||The only release conditions that are copied are ones that are attached to and reference other components that are copied at the same time. For instance, if a quiz has a release condition attached that refers to a content topic, it is only copied if both the quiz and the content topic are copied at the same time. Choosing Release Conditions without selecting any other component does nothing.|
- Go to the Import/Export/Copy Components page for the course offering you want to copy components into, by doing one of the following:
- Click Edit Course on your course navbar, then click Import/Export/Copy Components.
- Click Import/Export/Copy Component in the Admin Tools widget or from the Admin Tools menu on the minibar.
- Select Copy Components from Another Org Unit, and then click Search for Offering.
- To see a list of courses you have available to copy, click the magnifying glass icon in the search bar. This will list your courses. Check the radio button next to the one to copy, and click Add Selected.
- To copy the course in its entirety, click Copy All Components. The Copy Summary page displays, showing the copy progress. When a component successfully copies, a green check mark appears beside
it. If any component fails to copy properly, a red X appears beside it.
(If you get a red X, contact the tech service desk for assistance). Do not copy the course again! (Skip to step 11).
- To copy select components from the course instead of all components, click Select Components.
- When you select the source course offering or template, a section called Choose Components to Copy appears that lists the components available to copy. Select the components you want to copy using the check box next to each component. Note If you are copying Content, be sure to include Course Files; if you are copying Quizzes that include randomized questions, be sure to include Question Library.
- To copy only certain items from a component, choose Select individual items to copy. This allows you to select individual quizzes, discussion forums, dropbox folders, etc.
- When you are finished selecting components, click Continue.
- If you chose “Select individual items to copy” for any component in the previous step, the Select Items page appears. This page lists all of the items and any sub-items contained in the current component. (For example, on the Select Dropbox Items page, you will see all of the dropbox folders and categories.) Otherwise, the Confirm Components to Copy page appears.
- Select the individual items and sub-items you want to copy and click Continue.
- To view sub-items, click the + icon next to an item or click Expand All at the top of the list.
Note Not all components have sub-items.
- Repeat the previous step for any other components for which you chose “Select individual items to copy.” The Confirm Components to Copy page appears. This page lists all the components that are copied and the number of items selected for each component.
- You can change the items selected within a component by clicking the Modify link beside the item. This takes you back to the Select Items page for that component.
- Click Finish to begin copying.
- The copy progress for each item is displayed.
- A green check mark will appear next to each item as it is successfully copied. A red X will appear next to an item that fails to copy. (Contact the tech service desk for assistance if this happens).
- When the process is finished, click View Content or Copy Another Package.