Topics Map > Cobra Learning
Cobra Learning - Setting Up TurnItIn Plagiarism Software
Setting Up TurnItIn in Cobra Learning
TurnItIn is an effective online technology for evaluating student learning. Check students' work for potential plagiarism by comparing it against the world's largest database. Student work is instantly checked and an originality report is generated in a matter of seconds. Color-coded sources correspond to matching passages in the student work and generate a simple Similarity Index score.
- Create a new folder (dropbox) in Cobra Learning
- Continue to set up your dropbox folder as you typically would. (You can select Save at this point, to save your regular dropbox settings).
- Click on the Turnitin tab. NOTE: if you do not have the Turnitin tab, you may want to review this video.
- Check the box to Enable Turnitin for this folder. (You can select Save at this point to save your dropbox settings this far).
- Display: If you want students to see the Turnitin report, check this box.
Note: if you intend to use the Feedback Studio in Turnitin to grade or offer feedback, you'll need to turn this on for students to be able to access the feedback.
- Frequency: Automatic will submit student papers for originality checking immediately upon submission. Identify means that you will manually go to the dropbox and select the submission to be sent for review. (You can select Save or Save and Close if you choose not to set any additional settings).
- Select More Options in Turnitin to review additional settings. (See section below).
More Options in Turnitin
- Title: this will be drawn from the dropbox title in Cobra.
- Instructions: You do not need to complete this if you have provided the instructions in Cobra.
- Allow submission of any file type: If yes, the originality report will be generated where possible. Typically, some documents may not produce a report. Selecting "no" will only allow files that are compatible with Turnitin (i.e. Word, PDF)
- Max Grade: This will carry over from your dropbox settings in Cobra.
- Start / Due date: These will also carry over from your dropbox settings in Cobra.
- Feedback release date: This is the date in which your students can access the feedback that you've left them. By default, it will fill in with the Due/End date of the dropbox. If you want your students to see the feedback BEFORE the dropbox closes, you'll need to reset this date...we recommend to the same as the start date.
- Click the Optional Settings link, to continue with the advanced settings.
- Allow late submissions: You may set this either way, but the Cobra dropbox settings will override this. If you do not allow late submissions in the dropbox, then they will not be able to do so in Turnitin. If you have late submissions allowed on Cobra and set this to "no", then students will be able to submit to Cobra, but they will not be submitted to Turnitin.
- Compare submitted papers against the following sources: By default, the entire Turnitin database will be selected. This is the best way to ensure the most accurate report.
- Originality Report generation and resubmissions: this allows you to set whether the reports are generated immediately or held until the due date; and whether resubmissions are allowed to be submitted through Turnitin. Again, this will feed from whether you allow resubmissions in the dropbox in Cobra as well.
- Exclude bibliographic materials from Similarity Index for all papers in this assignment: This will allow the percent score of similarity to reflect content of the paper without the bibliographic matches factored in. This can be turned on in individual reports for added depth to the review of each paper.
- Exclude quoted materials from Similarity Index for all papers in this assignment: This will allow the percent score of the similarity to reflect the content of the paper without material in quotation marks factored in. This can be turned on in individual reports for added depth to the review of each paper.
- Exclude small matches: This allows the instructor to set a small match threshold (words or percentage) to exclude from the report as well. (An additional window opens when "yes" is selected).
- Allow students to view Originality Reports: This will automatically be set, if you set it in the topmost level settings of the Turnitin tab in Cobra. If you did not select it there, but meant to, it can be selected here.
- Submissions to this assignment will be stored in: Papers chosen to be stored in the Turnitin repository can be checked against other papers in your current and previous classes.
- Add PeerMark assignments: This allows students to read, review and evaluate each others' assignments, if marked as "yes."
- Attach a rubric to this assignment: This allows a Turnitin-based rubric to be added to the assignment and used for grademarking. A rubric created in Cobra will NOT transfer into Turnitin. The rubric must be created in Turnitin. (See PDIT staff for assistance with creating a Turnitin rubric).
- Enable grammar checking using ETS e-rater technology: When this setting is enabled, grademarking will include grammar checking as well as spellcheck and other writing traits.
- Would you like to save these options as your defaults for future assignments: This gives you the option to save these settings for future dropboxes. If enabled, these basic settings would apply to every new Turnitin dropbox you create, but allowing you to make changes singularly to each one.