Cobra Learning - Tips for Taking Quizzes
This document is to give you some tips for preparing to take quizzes in the Cobra Learning system.
The Cobra Learning system is highly sensitive and requires a secure internet connection. We do NOT recommend using a free wi-fi service (Starbucks, McDonalds, etc.) as the connection could become intermittent and cause you to lose valuable time on your quiz. We do recommend a computer lab at the library or using a secure home network connection. Also, do not assume that your mobile device will work...if your instructor provides a practice quiz, then you can test your mobile device that way.
Lost Internet Connection During a Quiz
If you do not have a strong internet connection, as recommended above, then you run the risk of losing the connection. And losing your internet in the middle of a timed quiz can cause panic, particularly if you are unable to reach tech support for assistance. In the event that you lose your connection or your browser freezes up in the middle of a time quiz, we recommend the following:
- Don't panic. This is a fixable problem.
- If you are able, try to save the questions you have (see Saving below for important tips on saving as you go). If not, then you might have to re-do the questions that do not have saved answers.
- Log out of Cobra or simply close your browser to reset the connection.
- Then, quickly log back into Cobra Learning, access the course and the quiz. You should see a Resume/Continue Quiz button after clicking on the quiz link. This will allow you back into the quiz (if you had time remaining) with minimal time lost and allow you to try to complete the quiz with the time you have left.
- Finally, email your instructor, carefully outlining what happened and what you did to try to regain entry and the time left on the quiz. This will just inform them of the issues that you experienced. It will not guarantee a second chance, but by being proactive and looking for resolutions rather than sitting and waiting for help shows initiative on your part.
Before you start:When you click on a quiz in Cobra, you will get a start page that looks like this:
1. Quiz Period: This time frame is set by the instructor and is available on all quizzes to indicate when a quiz will be open for you to take. Do not wait until the last day/minute to take it as technical difficulties may occur which could result in a missed quiz.
2. Time Allowed: Duration of the quiz set in hours/minutes/seconds. The clock does NOT stop for any reason. Logging out of Cobra will not stop it, so you need to be prepared to complete the quiz once you have started it.
3. Attempts: Most quizzes will be for a single attempt; while others may give you multiple attempts. Be prepared before you begin regardless of the number of attempts.
4. Introduction: Some instructors may list specific directions for you to consider prior to beginning the quiz, so read these carefully before you click Start Quiz.
5. Start Quiz: Once this button is clicked and the quiz loads, the clock starts ticking. So, be sure that you are prepared to complete the quiz BEFORE clicking this button.
It's important to note when you start a quiz, that there is a time limit/time left "clock" in the upper left of the quiz. (See image below).
This clock will count down in seconds from the time limit. When your time is up, you will get the following message:
When the time limit has been exceeded, your quiz will be marked as "late" and could possibly result in a penalty. It will no longer save any answers that you mark, so you need to click submit. When you click save or submit, it will give this message:
But you need to click "OK" to complete the submission. If you do not, your quiz attempt will be stuck in "pending" and not graded. Be aware that answers selected AFTER the time was exceeded will NOT be saved.
It is important to save your answers as you go along so that you do not lose your responses when the time runs out. You can go back and change them and select Save again...you may change your answers until the time runs out, but answers saved after the time limit has been exceeded will NOT be saved. Your last saved response will be the one submitted.
1. Save button: There is a save button for every question. A good habit is to click this after you answer the question. You may come back and change this later (if your instructor allows this) and save again. There is also a Save All Responses button at the bottom of the quiz, but it is best to save as you go as to not lose your answers if time runs out.
2. Saved answer legend: As you save your responses, the icon in the legend will turn dark, meaning that answer is saved. Any white icons in this legend represent unanswered questions. This can serve as a reminder of questions to come back to, but again...be mindful of the clock and make sure to allow enough time to come back to unanswered questions.