Cobra Learning - Keyboard only navigation tips
Keyboard only navigation tips
Cobra Learning is a learning management system that enables you to access course material online. There are a number of learning tools within the system that course content is contained in. This topic provides some basic advice for people who navigate Cobra Learning using a keyboard or assistive technologies that emulate a keyboard.
Table of contents
- Navigating pages using a keyboard
- Browser accesskeys
- Navigating the HTML Editor
- Navigating the Capture Portal
- Getting additional support
Use the Tab key on your keyboard to navigate the options on a page. Use Shift + Tab to return to a previous option. Cobra Learning highlights page elements that you can interact with (such as links, fields and buttons) as you tab through them, to make it easier for you to complete tasks and select options.
Press the Enter or Return key to select a link or button.
Use the Down Arrow and Up Arrow keys to navigate drop-down menus that have an Apply or Go button beside them.
Use Alt + Down Arrow keys (Windows and Linux) or Option + Down Arrow keys (Mac) to open drop-down menus that do not have an Apply or Go button, and then use the Down Arrow, Up Arrow and Enter keys to select an item in the drop-down.
Use the Enter or Return key to open a context menu attached to a thumbnail image, and then use the Down Arrow, Up Arrow and Enter keys to select an item.
Use the Space Bar to select a radio button option.
Important Do not use Alt + F4 to close pop-up windows or pages. This action closes your browser.
Different browsers use different keystrokes to activate access key shortcuts:
- Internet Explorer 10 or higher: Use Alt + [accesskey] (Windows/Linux) or Control + [accesskey] (Mac)
- Firefox: Use Alt + Shift + [accesskey] (Windows/Linux) or Control + [accesskey] (Mac)
- Chrome: Use Alt + [accesskey] (Windows/Linux) or Control + Option + [accesskey] (Mac)
- Safari : Use Alt + [accesskey] (Windows/Linux) or Control + Option + [accesskey] (Mac)
Use the Tab key and Shift + Tab keys to navigate through the options in the HTML Editor.
Use the Shift + Arrow Keys to highlight content in the main content area of the editor.
Use the Shift + Alt + Q keys to jump to the top tool menu of the editor.
Use the Shift + Alt + Z keys to jump to the main content area of the editor.
Use the Shift + Alt + X keys to jump to the element path for the editor.
There are a number of settings in the Preferences tool that you may find useful when navigating Cobra Learning by keyboard.
Appearance and Accessibility tab
- Some keyboard dependent users find the HTML Editor cumbersome to use and prefer to create HTML content in external tools. There is an option to Turn off the rich text editor and view source. The HTML Editor is replaced with a text field that supports HTML content.
- Select the Show secondary windows as pop-ups option to simplify secondary window navigation.
- Some users also Include original message text in replies so they don’t have to move between discussion messages as frequently.
We recommend that you use Internet Explorer 10 or higher to navigate the Capture Portal.
Use the Tab key and Shift + Tab keys to move through the Capture Portal.
The first tab stop enables you to Skip Over Navigation.
The second tab stop displays media player controls to control presentation playback. These player controls also have access key equivalents (keyboard shortcuts):
- Press access key 1 toToggle Playback
- Press access key 2 to Seek Reverse
- Press access key 3 to Seek Forward
- Press access key 4 to Volume Down
- Press access key 5 to Volume Up
- Press access key 6 to Focus Video
Within the media player, you can use the Space Bar to select an option.
If you are having difficulty using Cobra Learning to complete your course work, consider seeking help from your an accessibility services coordinator at your institution. Most institutions have support centers to help users learn new technology, seek special accommodations, and organize tutoring and other support.