Cobra Learning - Keyboard only navigation tips
Keyboard only navigation tips
Cobra Learning is a learning management system that enables you to access course material online. There are a number of learning tools within the system that course content is contained in. This topic provides some basic advice for people who navigate Cobra Learning using a keyboard or assistive technologies that emulate a keyboard.
Table of contents
- Navigating pages using a keyboard
- Browser accesskeys
- Navigating the HTML Editor
- Navigating the Capture Portal
- Getting additional support
Note If your organization's Cobra Learning includes integrations with Kaltura or Capture, we recommend that you use Internet Explorer 8 or higher to avoid possible keyboard traps in those media players.
Use the Tab key on your keyboard to navigate the options on a page. Use Shift + Tab to return to a previous option. Cobra Learning highlights page elements that you can interact with (such as links, fields and buttons) as you tab through them, to make it easier for you to complete tasks and select options.
Press the Enter or Return key to select a link or button.
Use the Down Arrow and Up Arrow keys to navigate drop-down menus that have an Apply or Go button beside them.
Use Alt + Down Arrow keys (Windows and Linux) or Option + Down Arrow keys (Mac) to open drop-down menus that do not have an Apply or Go button, and then use the Down Arrow, Up Arrow and Enter keys to select an item in the drop-down.
Use the Enter or Return key to open a context menu attached to a thumbnail image, and then use the Down Arrow, Up Arrow and Enter keys to select an item.
Use the Space Bar to select a radio button option.
Important Do not use Alt + F4 to close pop-up windows or pages. This action closes your browser.
Different browsers use different keystrokes to activate access key shortcuts:
- Internet Explorer 8+: Use Alt + [accesskey] (Windows/Linux) or Control + [accesskey] (Mac)
- Firefox: Use Alt + Shift + [accesskey] (Windows/Linux) or Control + [accesskey] (Mac)
- Chrome: Use Alt + [accesskey] (Windows/Linux) or Control + Option + [accesskey] (Mac)
- Safari 4+: Use Alt + [accesskey] (Windows/Linux) or Control + Option + [accesskey] (Mac)
Use the Tab key and Shift + Tab keys to navigate through the options in the HTML Editor.
Use the Shift + Arrow Keys to highlight content in the main content area of the editor.
Use the Shift + Alt + Q keys to jump to the top tool menu of the editor.
Use the Shift + Alt + Z keys to jump to the main content area of the editor.
Use the Shift + Alt + X keys to jump to the element path for the editor.
There are a number of settings in the Preferences tool that you may find useful when navigating Cobra Learning by keyboard.
General Preferences tab
The Login Destination option lets you log directly into a course, rather than My Home. This option can simplify navigation if you are only taking one or a few courses.
Appearance and Accessibility tab
- Some keyboard dependent users find the HTML Editor cumbersome to use and prefer to create HTML content in external tools. There is an option to Turn off the rich text editor and view source. The HTML Editor is replaced with a text field that supports HTML content.
- Select the Show secondary windows as pop-ups option to simplify secondary window navigation.
- Clear the Show the discussion topics list and Show the preview pane options to simplify the layout of discussion lists.
- Some users also Include original message text in replies so they don’t have to move between discussion messages as frequently.
- Clear the Show the Message Preview pane and Show the Folder List pane options to simplify the layout of your Inbox.
- Some users also Include original message in email replies so they don’t have to move between messages as frequently.
Select the Basic option to simplify movement through the main metadata page.
Please make sure you have FLASH installed on your computer before previewing a pager sound. If you do not have FLASH installed, our system uses your default media player to preview sounds. Many popular media players trap keyboard navigation.
We recommend that you use Internet Explorer 8 or higher to navigate the Capture Portal.
Use the Tab key and Shift + Tab keys to move through the Capture Portal.
The first tab stop enables you to Skip Over Navigation.
The second tab stop displays media player controls to control presentation playback. These player controls also have access key equivalents (keyboard shortcuts):
- Toggle Playback is access key 1.
- Seek Reverse is access key 2.
- Seek Forward is access key 3.
- Volume Down is access key 4.
- Volume Up is access key 5.
- Focus Video is access key 6.
If you are tabbing inside the media player, use the Space Bar to select an option.
If you are having difficulty using Cobra Learning to complete your course work, consider seeking help from your course leader or a disability services group at your institution. Most institutions have support centers to help users learn new technology, seek special accommodations, and organize tutoring and other support.