Cobra Learning - ReadSpeaker
ReadSpeaker is a text-to-speech software that enhances the learning experience for students. With ReadSpeaker, the content in Cobra can be read aloud and the text is highlighted for those who want to follow along, regardless of the device or where you may be. This makes content more accessible and reviewing the content can be a more enriching experience. Users do not need to download anything. The software is built-in to Cobra Learning.
Courses in Cobra will have these icons available to activate the reading software.
ReadSpeaker allows the user to:
- Select text and click the listen icon that appears to have the selected text read.
- Hover over a paragraph of text to have it read out automatically.
- View a clutter-free version of the web page with text in your preferred font, size and color as it is read aloud and highlighted.
- Download an audio version of your content for offline listening.
- Translate a selected text to a number of languages and have the text read in the target language.
- Personalize reading speed, highlighting colors, and more.
- Select a word and find its definition in the dictionary.
- Choose the reading language.
Clear instructions on how to use each feature are provided in the Help Tool, which is found in the toolbar. Try reading through the Help Tool to pick up ideas on how to make optimal use of ReadSpeaker’s features!
Many of the ReadSpeaker tools and features also have a dedicated access key. Access keys are activated with different modifier keys, depending on the browser and operating system used (see list of modifier keys for different environments here). Inside ReadSpeaker, you can use tab/shift+tab to navigate and press enter to activate a certain button or option.
- Open/close toolbar: Modifier + space
- Open Help feature: Modifier + I
- Other access keys: see Help feature
Cookies: ReadSpeaker is best used with cookies enabled, as it will allow the user’s personal settings to be saved between sessions.
Platforms and web browsers: ReadSpeaker is a device-independent and cross-platform solution. It should work with:
- All commonly used online devices: pc, laptop, Chromebook, tablet, smartphone, and more.
- All major operating systems: Windows, Chrome, Android, iOS, macOS, and more.
- All major browsers:
- for laptops and PCs: Edge, Chrome, Firefox and Safari
- for mobile devices: Safari and Chrome on iOS devices, Chrome on Android devices, Chrome and Edge on Windows Phone
Additionally, ReadSpeaker has a feature called docReader. When you click on a document from within the Cobra Learning environment, at the bottom of the viewer screen, there will be an Open with docReader button.
Selecting this button will open your file in a new window so the document can be read aloud. Supported document formats include:
- Apache OpenOffice/LibreOffice Presentation, Open Document Presentation (.odp)
- Apache OpenOffice/LibreOffice Spreadsheet, Open Document Spreadsheet (.ods)
- Apache OpenOffice/LibreOffice Writer, Open Document Text (.odt)
- ePub (.epub)
- Microsoft Excel (.xls, .xlsx)
- Microsoft PowerPoint (.pps, .ppt, .pptx)
- Microsoft Word (.doc, .docx)
- Portable Document Format (.pdf)
- Rich Text Format (.rtf)
A toolbar at the top of the page enables the user to browse, read, and listen to the document. When your user clicks the Listen button in the toolbar, the full page will be read section by section in the order defined in the document.
Hovering over a section of text enables users to click to listen to that section. Users can also explicitly select a section of text to be read. They can also control the layout mode, reading speed, and both text appearance and highlighting.
Phone/Virtual Assistance: 217-353-3333 * email@example.com
Fall/Spring: 7:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. M-Th. / 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Fridays
Summer: 7:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. M-Th