Office 365 (Outlook Client for Windows) - Assign and Track Tasks
To assign a task, you first create the task, and then send it as a task request to someone. The person who receives the task request becomes the temporary owner of the task. This person can decline the task, accept the task, or assign the task to someone else. If the task is declined, it is returned to you.
Assign a task
1. If you are accessing Tasks from Outlook, click on the Tasks icon in the bottom left. On the Navigation Bar, click Tasks, and then click New Task, or open an existing task.
- Keyboard shortcut: To create a task, press Ctrl+Shift+K.
2. Click Assign Task.
3. In the To box, enter a name or an email address.
4. In the Subject box, type a name for the task.
5. Enter the Start date and Due date.
6. If you want the task to repeat, click Recurrence, select the options you want, and then click OK.
7. In the body, you may include information about the task.
8. Click Send.
Notes: If you assign a recurring task, a copy of the task remains in your task list, but it never updates. If you check the Send me a status report when this task is complete box, you receive status reports for each completed occurrence of the task. Tasks assigned from Outlook for Windows must be accepted or declined using the Outlook for Windows application. This experience is not supported in Outlook on the web.
People can send you status updates which you can track in your Tasks view.
When you open a task you assigned, you can review the progress of assigned tasks with the % Complete box which either you or the recipient can update when they send you an assigned task status report.
Assigning tasks to multiple people
Outlook can track the progress of a task assigned to one person. If you want multiple people to work on a task, it’s a good idea to divide the task into smaller pieces or assign each task individually. For example, to track a report to be written by three writers, create three separate tasks named Write Report: Anne, Write Report: Carlos, and Write Report: Michiyo, and assign each individual task to the appropriate writer.
Track tasks you've assigned to someone else
1. On the navigation bar, click Tasks.
2. Click View > Change View > Assigned.
For the most current information on assigning and tracking tasks in Outlook, please see the following Microsoft help article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/assign-and-track-tasks-cdc1a3de-4e4c-44f6-8921-77a8cd43e971