Web Browsers - Pop-Up Blocker Settings
This article explains how to disable and enable the pop-up blocker settings in Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.
NOTE: We do not recommend permanently turning off your pop-up blocker. This can leave your COMPUTER vulnerable to any number of malicous programs. We recommend you only disable the blocker temporarily or add specific trusted sites as exceptions.
If your pop-up blocker is turned on (IE's blocker is on by default) and you go to a site that has pop-ups, an information bar will appear at the bottom of your browser window telling you a pop-up has been blocked.
Clicking on the information bar will let you
- temporarily allow pop-ups (from this site only),
- always allow pop-ups from this site, or
- adjust the pop-up blocker settings.
If you chose to temporarily allow pop-ups, that permission will expire when you close down your browser.
If your pop-up blocker is turned on (Chrome also turns it on by default) and the site you are on tries to send a pop-up, an icon that looks like a browser bar with a red 'x' will appear in your address bar.
Clicking on the icon will allow you to
- always allow pop-ups from this site
- continue blocking pop-ups, or
- manage pop-up blocking
To manage pop-up settings in Chrome:
1. Open Google Chrome
2. Select More (the 3 vertical dots in the upper right) and then Settings from the Chrome menu.
3.Under "Privacy and security," click Site settings.
4. Select Pop-ups and redirects.
5. At the top, turn the setting to Allowed or Blocked as pictured below. You may also block or allow specific sites from this same menu. To capture all pop-ups across the site, use the pattern [*.]example.com.
1. Open Safari.
2. In the top left, select Safari, then Preferences then click Websites.
3. Select Pop-up Windows on the left and choose from the following options from the pop-menu next to the website.
Block pop-up windows that appear when you open or close a webpage.
Block and Notify: When you visit the site, Safari displays an icon in the Smart Search field. You can click the icon to display the pop-up windows.
Block: The site can’t display pop-up windows.
Allow: The site can display pop-up windows.
(Note: Some websites use pop-up windows for essential content.)
When blocking a pop-up, Firefox displays an information bar, as well as an icon in the location bar.
When you click either thebutton in the info bar or the icon in the location bar, a menu is displayed with the following choices:
- (show the blocked pop-up)
To access the pop-up blocker settings:
At the top of the Firefox window, click on the button and then select .At the top of the Firefox window, click on the menu and then select .On the menu bar, click on the menu and select .At the top of the Firefox window, click on the menu and select .
Click the menu button (3 horizontal lines in the upper right) and choose .
Select Privacy & Security.
- In the Permissions section, check or uncheck Block pop-up windows. If checked, you may click on the Exceptions button to add specific websites you would like to allow pop-ups for.