Cobra Learning - Using Zoom in Cobra - UPDATED
In the event that you need to conduct your class meeting time online, Zoom can be used to create a meeting to be held online.
Using Zoom in Cobra Learning
Creating a Parkland Zoom Account
If you already have a Parkland Zoom account, you can skip to the next section of this article.
If you do not have a Parkland Zoom account, submit a request using this form. The college has limited licenses at this time, so you must request one. HOWEVER, you may note that you can use Zoom through Cobra (see next sections), but it will be a FREE account that has limited functionality. If you want the full functionality, then you need to submit the form.
Once your request as been processed and your account created, you'll receive an email for you to approve the request.
Then you'll routed to Zoom where your account will be confirmed.
NOTE: your email may be different depending on whether you already had a Zoom account or not. If you have one with your Parkland email already, you may receive one like this in which you will be told that your accounts will be merged. If you did not use your Parkland email, then there will be no changes and you will still have a Zoom account under your personal email. It would be best if you use the Parkland one for your courses.
You are now ready to use Zoom for your class meetings!
Adding Zoom to your Course
Navigate to Cobra Learning and access your course. You will need to add Zoom to your navigation bar. There are a couple of ways that you can do this.
NOTE: your students do NOT see this link.
First, you can simply go to Course Admin > Navigation and Themes and select the pre-made default navigation bar with Zoom from the list in the dropdown menu of the Active Navbar, then click Apply. The Zoom link will now be on your navigation bar.
The second way that you can add it is to customize your navigation bar. If you already have a custom nav bar, then you can simply add this link to your existing navigation bar. See this KB article for instructions on how to edit your nav bar.
Setting up a Zoom Meeting in Cobra
Once you're ready to schedule your Zoom meeting, click the Zoom link in your course.
Follow these steps to establish your meeting criteria:
- Topic: Give your meeting a name, such as Class Meeting.
- When: Schedule your meeting date and time.
- Duration: Set your meeting duration.
NOTE: with the free account, you cannot schedule your meeting for longer than 40 minutes, but with a Parkland licensed account you can. HOWEVER, you may still get bumped out of the meeting at the 40 minute mark if there is no activity in the room. In other words, if you are simply sitting in the room for office hours and no one comes in, the meeting will close, even if you are active in the room. Zoom considers 2 or more participants for a room to be active.
- Recurring meeting: if you are scheduling an office hour or something that will happen more frequently, you can set them up in advance.
- Video: You can set webcam access to on or off for the host (you) and the participants upon entry into the room, but both can be turned on once in the room.
- Audio: If you set up Telephone or Both, it will generate a call-in number that participants can use from a phone. During increased demand on Zoom, a free account may not allow for the telephone option and may require participants to use computer audio.
- Meeting Options:
- Require meeting password. This will be checked and a password generated by default. Do not email this password, though. It would be best to post it in Cobra, if you are going to use it, to ensure no one besides your students can access the meeting.
- Enable join before host. Not recommended as this would allow participants/students to enter the room before you start the meeting
- Mute participants upon entry. This would keep the audio a bit more controlled and require participants to use the chat feature instead of microphones.
- Enable waiting room. This would allow participants in a room prior to the start of the meeting, rather than turning them away.
- Record the meeting automatically on the local computer. Will create a video file for you to store on your computer and share after the meeting.
Click Save when done.
After you Save, you'll see that you can launch the meeting, edit the meeting, or delete the meeting. You can also use Polls in Zoom, which we'll cover in another article. But you can download the template for creating polls from this page.
Adding Zoom Link in Cobra for Students
Then scroll down and select Zoom from the list of tools.
This will put a link to the Zoom meetings page for the students to access.
This is how it will look for students.
Sharing Your Recording
After the recording has been saved, you can upload the MP4 file to TechSmith Relay and generate captions and then link it to your Cobra course for students to review later. To locate the MP4 file, go to Documents on your computer, click on Zoom, and then on the meeting folder that contains your meeting recording. This is also where the chat transcript will be stored as well.
NOTE: you only need to upload the MP4 file to TechSmith Relay...not any of the other files.