Loanable Laptops for Employees in the Parkland Library - Usage Instructions
Campus Technologies and the Parkland Library have collaborated to make ten laptops available exclusively for employees to check out for anything from meetings to travel to Parkland events such as the Enrollment Blitz. The laptops have been configured with Windows 10, VPN, and core applications such as Microsoft Office. In addition to being VPN ready, these laptops are not configured with Deep Freeze so your information will not be wiped out upon a reboot, thus making them a super convenient resource for faculty and staff.
If you are interested, please stop by the Main Desk in the Library with your Parkland ID card and let them know that you would like to borrow one of the employee laptops. The checkout period is one week but accommodations can be made if you need it longer. If you have any questions regarding the laptop configuration, please call the Tech Service Desk at 217/353-3333. If you have any questions regarding the checkout process, please call the Parkland Library at 217/373-3839.
Login – Please sign on with your ParklandOne username and password. NOTE: If you will be using this laptop off-campus, it is imperative that you log in once prior to removing it from campus. If you do not follow this step, you will not be able to sign on to the laptop once you take the laptop off-site.
File Storage – Please do not save files to the laptop as they will be removed once the laptop is returned. Instead, please save your files to an external flash drive, to the cloud (OneDrive), to the H: Drive, or email the document to yourself. (To access the H: drive from on-campus, click on the Windows Explorer button in the task bar. To access it from off-campus, connect to the VPN first.)
Email – The Outlook client is not installed. To access your Parkland email, please click on the email icon on the Parkland portal or navigate to go.parkland.edu/email.
Colleague - From on-campus, simply click on the Colleague icon on the portal. From off-campus, connect to the VPN first.
VPN – This laptop has VPN installed on it which will allow you to access the following Parkland resources from off-campus: (Note: while on-campus, you can access these resources just as you would from your office machine.)
• Your Parkland network drives (H:, N:, etc.)
To connect to VPN, please do the following:
1. Start the VIA client from the shortcut on the desktop.2. Click on the circle to download your VPN profile.
3. Type in vpn.parkland.edu and click Download.
4. Enter your ParklandOne username and password and select Proceed.
5. You are now connected. To confirm, click on the Show Hidden Icons arrow in the bottom-right.
6. You should see the following which indicates that the VPN is connected.
7. To open Colleague, please click on the Datatel Colleague icon on the Parkland portal (my.parkland.edu). To access your Parkland network drives, click on the Windows Explorer button in the lower task bar.
Select the appropriate drive. You will see your H: Drive (Home Drive) and other shared drives you have access to (N: Drive, etc.).
8. When you are finished using the VPN connection that you have established, it is important to disconnect. You can do this by selecting the Show Hidden Icons arrow once again, right-clicking on the green VPN Connection icon and selecting Disconnect (or Exit). To reconnect, right-click again & select Connect.