Topics Map > Microsoft Office 365
Topics Map > BYOD
Office 365 (Personal Devices - Windows) - How to Install the Full Client Version
Students, employees, and retirees (with an active Parkland email account) are eligible to receive 5 licenses of the Microsoft Office 365 Suite for personal use (both Windows and Mac) for free. The software suite includes: Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint & OneNote (includes 1TB of OneDrive storage) along with features like Yammer and Newsfeed. Outlook and Skype for Business (formerly Lync) are available but will not be activated for students until March, 2016 when they are switched to the new student email system. It also includes Office Online which provides "light weight" versions of the software which means that only the most-used features are available. You can use Office 365 until you no longer have an active Parkland email account (due to graduation, resignation, etc.). At expiration, the Office applications enter a reduced-functionality mode, which means documents can be viewed but it isn’t possible to edit or create new documents. In addition, online services associated with your Parkland email address like Office Online and OneDrive will no longer work.
Office 365 - Windows System Requirements for Client Install - XP and Vista are not compatible with Office 365.
Supported Browsers (for Office Online): The latest version of Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari is recommended.
1. Open up a web browser and enter the URL connect.parkland.edu/office365.
2. Enter your ParklandOne username and password (for more information on creating a ParklandOne account, please see ParklandOne - FAQ) and click "Sign in". You will be redirected to the site where you can download and install the full version of the software or simply access the web-based versions of the applications which do not require an install. The online apps are available in the section that says, "Collaborate with Office Online". The web-based apps are a great option if you are on the go as they can be accessed from any computer that has internet access.
If you would like to proceed with installing the full version of Office on to your personal device, click on Install now.
3. After you click Install now, you'll be presented with the following box. Select Run and follow the installation instructions to install the Microsoft Office suite on your computer. Please allow up to 2 hours before all services will be available.
4. To install additional copies on other computers, open up your web browser and go to connect.parkland.edu/office365. Enter your ParklandOne username and password. You may download up to five copies of Microsoft Office at a time. You can deactivate any of the five instances as you wish, and reinstall the software on a different computer.
Where can I get help with Microsoft Office 365?
- The Parkland College Tech Service Desk - See contact information in the footer below.
- https://support.office.com/ is a great searchable Microsoft site for all Office 365 related questions.
- Excellent instructional videos available through lynda.com. Please see How do I Access lynda.com? for instructions on how to set up your free account. (employee accounts active now / student accounts active 7/1/15)
- Office 365 (Personal Devices - Mac) - How to Install the Full Client Version
- Microsoft Office 365 - Introduction, Overview, and Access
- Office 365 - Outlook App Setup on Android Phones
- Office 365 - Native Outlook Setup on Android Phones
- Office 365 - Outlook App Setup on your iOS device (iPad, iPod, iPhone)
- Office 365 - Outlook Setup on iOS devices w/ the native iOS app (iPad, iPod, iPhone)
- Office 365 - Outlook Setup on Windows Phone 8 and 8.1