Parkland Zoom - FAQ
These are some of the most frequently asked questions from The Parkland Community.
Parkland College is phasing out the use of Zoom. As of January 1, 2022, instructors will need to use utilize Microsoft Teams instead of Zoom for synchronous class meetings with students. For instructions, please see: Cobra Learning: Creating Microsoft Teams in Cobra
1. Do I need a license to sign in to Zoom and participate in a Zoom meeting?
No. All students and employees can sign into Zoom with a ParklandOne account and participate in a meeting, no license necessary. Zoom is free for anyone to participate in a meeting and no one needs a license to attend a Zoom meeting or webinar. To access your Parkland Zoom account, please navigate to https://go.parkland.edu/zoom and sign in with your ParklandOne credentials.
2. Do I need a Zoom license to schedule and host a meeting?
The short answer is NO but these are the restrictions on non-licensed accounts:
- If your meeting will be 40 minutes or less you do NOT need a Zoom license and you can have up to 100 participants.
- If it is a 1 on 1 meeting (meaning, you and a single participant), the meeting is not time limited even if you do not have a license. Once you have 3 participants up to 100 though, the meeting will end at the 40 minute mark if you do not have a license assigned to your ParklandOne account.
6. What is a Zoom Webinar license and do I need one?
A Webinar license allows you to host Zoom meetings with up to 500 participants. The first 100 can be interactive participants. The other 400 are non-interactive participants and anyone who joins after that can watch via live stream. These licenses are expensive, are limited, and are already spoken for. If you need a webinar scheduled, than any existing Webinar license holder can schedule it for you, make you a co-host, and then you can start and conduct your webinar without the license holder needing to attend. Please note, however, that you will need to be a licensed Zoom user in order to be made a co-host (see #4 above to request a Parkland Zoom license). Currently the webinar licenses are held by Communications & External Affairs, Admissions & Records, Arts and Sciences, and Marketing. If any additional Webinar licenses need to be purchased, those licenses only allow for 100 interactive participants and 200 non-interactive for a total of 300 attendees. Webinar licenses allow for the following:
- 100 interactive video panelists, 49 viewable on screen at one time Help Tooltip icon
- Screen Sharing from panelists (even videos with audio)
- Q&A with the ability to like and up-vote questions
- In-webinar text-chat
- Attendee and webinar performance reporting Help Tooltip icon
- Mute/unmute panelists
- Promote attendees to be panelists
- Whiteboarding and annotation tools
- Customizable branded registration pages
- Pre and post-webinar reminder emails
- Practice session for pre-event panelist prep Help Tooltip icon
- Post-event survey link
- Recordings and transcripts Help Tooltip icon
- Integration with CRM and marketing automation applications with registration and attendee information
- Live streaming to unlimited audiences on Facebook Live, YouTube, and custom streaming services
- PayPal Integration
- Language Interpreter support
- Source tracking (up to 50 sources)
7. Are there any Parkland specific virtual backgrounds I can use in Zoom?
Yes, Marketing created a number of virtual backgrounds for your use. Please check them out here: https://www.parkland.edu/Main/About-Parkland/Newsroom/Virtual-Backgrounds
8. Where can I get additional help with Zoom?
Users are encouraged to review the Zoom Help Center Documentation. It is searchable and you may be able to find the answer to your question with a simple search.